Daniel Ryan is a consultant and speaker; Co-captain of the Open Chattanooga Brigade; and Resident Technologist at Waypaver. Previously Daniel was the Director of Front-end Development for President Obama’s 2012 election campaign. Managing a team of two dozen, he oversaw the development of the online tools and technology that helped raised $690m online, recruited hundreds of thousands volunteers, and registered over 1 million voters. Under Daniel’s leadership the campaign employed a multi-screen strategy producing the first responsive website in presidential campaign history. Now Daniel is using the lessons learned from the campaign to help nonprofits and progressive organizations.
Aside from his work on the campain, Daniel’s achievements include serving as the Technologist in Residence for the GigTank 2013, guest lecturing with the University of Tennessee Chattanooga and Lee University. He was also interviewed as an industry expert for Teach the Web by Leslie Jensen-Innman, a book about web standards and techniques with information from experts in the web industry.
Daniel has contributed to the Chattanooga, Tennessee community as an organizer of local programs and events. This includes serving as the Advertising & Branding Chair of YPAC for 2011, who also nominated him for Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2010. Daniel also served as the founding director of BarCamp Chattanooga, a forum for the web community to share ideas and discuss various topics. From 2009-2011 he contributed time as the Technical Director for Chattarati.com, a Chattanooga blog dedicated to social and political activities happening throughout the city. Finally, Daniel served as an advisor to the Spring 2011 48 Hour Launch.
Daniel graduated in 2005 from Lee University, Cleveland, Tennessee with a Bachelor of Arts in History with an emphasis in Media. In 2006, he studied at the University of Manchester and was awarded a Master of Arts with Merit in War, Culture and History.
Originally from the Lakeland, Florida area, Daniel currently resides in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he has lived since 2000.
Articles & Interviews About Daniel
- Chatting with Obama For America’s Director of Frontend Development: Daniel Ryan
- Nine questions with Daniel Ryan, director of frontend development for Obama for America
- We interview Daniel Ryan, Director of Front-end Development ‘Obama for America’
- Obama For America lead developer+designer director to speak at Creative Citizenship program
- Headed to Startup Land, Obama’s Tech Alumni Take the Ground-Game Mentality With Them
- Meet the #hewebFL Conference Keynote: Daniel Ryan, ex-Director of Front-end Development at Obama for America 2012
- Gig Tank recruits former Obama campaign employee
- Corporations Want Obama’s Winning Formula
- Update: #TheGigTank New Duties for Former Obama Campaign Employee
- Former Obama campaign member joins Chattanooga company
- Fix What’s Broken, Break What’s Fixed
- Interview on the Non-breaking Space Show
- Daniel Ryan on getting a hug from Obama